The MSSF Team strives to provide a variety of supports to you and your students, including one-on-one help, our asynchronous online course, and afterschool sessions that you can participate in live or watch later.
ADVANCING SCIENCE RESEARCH TEACHING
This summer, thanks to a grant from Regeneron and Zeiss, MSSF is pleased to have Michael Blueglass run his Advancing Science Research Teaching course to 20 Maine high school teachers. Michael was a high school science teacher for 35 years. He started out teaching biology, chemistry, and environmental science. In 2001, he started a STEM research club which grew into a year-round research course. Michael is now the President of the Regeneron-Westchester Science & Engineering Fair.
AUGUST 14-17, 2023
University of Maine, Orono
Ferland Engineering Education and Design Center
- Free course
- Lunch provided
- Overnight accommodations free for double occupancy
The course will be customized based on the needs of its participants.
Potential topics include:
- Building a Science Research Program/Elective/Club
- Science research teaching strategies for high schoolers of all levels of experience
- Helping students connect with mentors (so you don’t need to be the mentor for everyone!)
- Community outreach
- Behavioral (Survey) Projects
- Statistical analysis and graphing resources
- Paper writing
- Building and growing a science fair
- Understanding the many STEM competitions out there
Apply by June 16, 2023
Preference given to teachers new to MSSF and those teaching at underserved schools.
THE MSSF ONLINE COURSE
MSSF offers an online course designed for students interested in developing their own research or engineering project. The course is free to Maine teachers and students.
There is a new process for registration where each user can register themself:
- Click the button below to register for an account. They will get an email to finish creating their account.
- Once the account is created, we will enroll them in the MSSF courses. They will get another email when they have been given access to the courses.
Please allow one business day for us to enroll new registrants.
LIVE SESSIONS & RECORDINGS
Developing a Research Question
Tips for moving students from a simple topic to a doable research question
IRB & SRC Review
Projects Needing Prior Approval
Design & Methodology
Special guest Aaron from DataClassroom
Guiding Students When You Don't Understand Their Project
Pro tips on conducting human subjects research
Aaron Reedy shows how the platform guides data analysis
Hear from three judges about what they look for in a project
Abigail Gardner shares her science fair experience
Logistics & Planning
Get an overview of MSSF Updated for 2022-23
Weekly starting February 1
- 02.06.23 – Scholarships & Online Learning
Important scholarship info for Jrs. & Srs.
- 01.23.23 – Office Hours Start Feb. 1!
Join via Google meets, Wednesdays from 6 to 7pm
- 01.09.23 – Important Dates
Scholarship survey coming soon; join our Equity focus group!
- 12.13.22 – Beyond MSSF
Students can share their projects at other STEM competitions
- 11.29.22 – Tea Time with MSSF
Demystifying the Data Science category
- 11.14.22 – Learning Opportunities for You & Your Students
Find out how to use MSSF’s free online courses
- 10.26.22 – There’s a lot Brewing here at MSSF!
Access DataClassroom’s amazing platform for free
- 10.13.22 – Launching a New Year of MSSF
- Important Updates
- Upcoming Dates
- Scholarship Info
- Category Spotlights
- Research Tips
- Featured Sponsors