The MSSF Team strives to provide a variety of supports to you and your students, including one-on-one help, our asynchronous online course, and afterschool sessions that you can participate in live or watch later.
MSSF FALL KICK-OFF
Tuesday, October 24, 2023 | University of Maine at Augusta
Watch the Keynote Presentation!
Failing Your Way to Success: Building Your Toolbox for Life Through Science Fairs
Paige Brocidiacono, Spark Climate Solutions
Paige Brocidiacono is a climate field builder and entrepreneur who got her start in science fairs. In 2016, she won first place in Global Good at the Intel (now Regeneron) Science Talent Search with her research developing solutions to nutrient pollution causing harmful algal blooms in her community of Bangor, Maine. She studied materials science at Stanford and started a weather company using low-cost, controllable weather balloons to improve forecast accuracy by unlocking new data sources. She now works as a climate field builder accelerating the emerging methane removal field with Spark Climate Solutions, a nonprofit. She continues to be involved in the science fair community, serving as a judge and mentor for several high school students.
THE MSSF ONLINE COURSE
There is a new process for registration where each user can register themself:
- Click the button below to register for an account. They will get an email to finish creating their account.
- Once the account is created, we will enroll them in the MSSF courses. They will get another email when they have been given access to the courses.
Please allow one business day for us to enroll new registrants.
ADVANCING SCIENCE RESEARCH TEACHING
AUGUST 14-17, 2023
University of Maine, Orono
Ferland Engineering Education and Design Center
- Free course
- Lunch provided
The course will be customized based on the needs of its participants.
Potential topics include:
- Building a Science Research Program/Elective/Club
- Science research teaching strategies for high schoolers of all levels of experience
- Helping students connect with mentors (so you don’t need to be the mentor for everyone!)
- Community outreach
- Behavioral (Survey) Projects
- Statistical analysis and graphing resources
- Paper writing
- Building and growing a science fair
- Understanding the many STEM competitions out there
LIVE SESSIONS & RECORDINGS
Developing a Research Question
IRB & SRC Review
Design & Methodology
Guiding Students When You Don't Understand Their Project
Logistics & Planning
- 02.06.23 – Scholarships & Online Learning
Important scholarship info for Jrs. & Srs.
- 01.23.23 – Office Hours Start Feb. 1!
Join via Google meets, Wednesdays from 6 to 7pm
- 01.09.23 – Important Dates
Scholarship survey coming soon; join our Equity focus group!
- 12.13.22 – Beyond MSSF
Students can share their projects at other STEM competitions
- 11.29.22 – Tea Time with MSSF
Demystifying the Data Science category
- 11.14.22 – Learning Opportunities for You & Your Students
Find out how to use MSSF’s free online courses
- 10.26.22 – There’s a lot Brewing here at MSSF!
Access DataClassroom’s amazing platform for free
- 10.13.22 – Launching a New Year of MSSF
- Important Updates
- Upcoming Dates
- Scholarship Info
- Category Spotlights
- Research Tips
- Featured Sponsors