Designing Better Surveys
Presenting at MSSF
The Maine State Science Fair now offers an online course designed for students interested in developing their own research or engineering project.
The course is free.
Each student should register on the course site to access the lessons.
Module 1 - Choosing a topic for your MSSF project.
- Engineering or Science?
- The Four Question Strategy: A Primer on Experimental Design
- SMART Questions
- The SCAMPER Technique for Engineering Design
Module 2 - Conducting Background Research
- Tour of the Digital Maine Library
- Identifying Key Terms
- Primary & Secondary Sources
Module 3 - Project Design & Methodology
- Rationale for Your Project
- Materials & Procedure
- Data Analysis
Module 4 - Data Analysis
- Statistical Tests
- Which Test is Right for Your Data?
Module 5 - Writing Effective Abstracts
- A Sample Abstract
- Revising Our Sample Abstract